Saturday, August 7, 2010

Papeete, Tahiti - capital of French Polynesia

I arrived in Papeete, Tahiti as an employee of Carnival Australia working on board the Pacific Sun cruise ship.
I was playing with one of the bands on the cruise ship and because I worked nights on the ship, my days were usually free to go ashore and do plenty of sightseeing.  When I walked out to the top outside deck and gazed upon the scene all around me, I was utterly and completely shocked by how beautiful it was.  Everywhere I looked I saw incredible views of  palm tree-covered mountains, large expanses of turquoise-blue ocean and lush vegetation.  
Papeete, Tahiti's "Boulevard Pomare", along the city's harbor front.

As a first-time visitor, I was very impressed by the juxtaposition of the city surrounded by some very tall mountains.  I was surprised to learn that some of the mountains on this island were over 7,000 ft in elevation.  Mont Orohena is the tallest mountain of French Polynesia with an elevation of 2,241 m (7,352 ft) and is located in central Tahiti.
The esplanade in Papeete, Tahiti.

It was fairly hot on the day I was there.  I easily broke a sweat just from standing out in the sun.  The climate on the Island of Tahiti and Papeete is considered tropical and can be divided into two basic seasons: the wet season and the dry season.

The wet season (Polynesian Summer), is between the months of November to April, receiving approximately 3/4ths of the annual rainfall of French Polynesia between these months. The humidity during this time can be quite heavy and muggy and cloud cover is common. Storms are frequent, brief, and unpredictable. (Average rainfall for Papeete is over 70 inches).  Temperatures will range from 27 - 30 degrees C (81-86 degrees F), with the hottest months being February and March. This "wet season" is considered the "off season" for tourism.

By contrast, the "dry season" - May through October, is the "on season" for tourism. This is the Polynesian winter. Temperatures generally range from between 24-28 degrees C (75-82 degrees F) , and rain is rare. Day to night temperature fluctuations are minimal.
View of Moorea from Papeete, Tahiti.

I was there in mid May and the town was busy with tourists as it was the beginning of the "on season".  Our cruise ship was docked adjacent to the Place Vaiete where there is a large open market and stage.  This proved convenient as later that night, I was able to listen to a live reggae music concert coming from the stage there.  Locals were listening, dancing and eating to the rhythmic tunes being played.  It was a beautiful warm night with a pleasant temperature around 80F with a calm breeze.  The locals look right at home outdoors and when you visit here you will know why.  The warm, moist air carries the sweet smell of all the plants and flowers on it and makes you feel so relaxed you just feel like laying down on the grass and taking in all the beauty that is all around you.    
Wood sculpture near Place Vaiete in Papeete.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your blog. Whenever I can pass here to honor this beautiful blog. It will be an honor to have you as a follower of our blog.

    THE ART OF NEWTON AVELINO
    http://www.aartedenewtonavelino.com

    Brazilian art and culture






    ReplyDelete